Wednesday, January 18, 2012

In my Kitchen: Blitz Burger Recipe. YUM!

I found this recipe in a recent issue of Parent magazine and I instantly decided to try it. I love that it combines beef with black beans in a single burger. Protein packed with less red meat! My family had these for dinner last night, and even my 2 year old enjoyed hers! I did change it up a little. Instead of buying pita bread, I used what I already had in my stockpile, tortillas. I also did not have any romaine lettuce, but I did have spinach, so that is what we used :)
These burgers were so moist and delicious!



Blitz Burger

1/2 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 lb. lean ground beef
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. canola oil
6 mini pita-bread rounds (or tortillas!)
1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/3 cup salsa
1/3 cup shredded romaine lettuce (or spinach!)

1. In a large bowl, mash the black beans with a fork. Crumble the beef into the bowl and sprinkle with chili powder, salt, and pepper; mix well. Shape into six 2 1/2'' patties (I wouldn't recommend making them any larger than this, since they tend to crumble if they are any bigger).
2. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties and cook for 2 minutes per side, or until done.
3. Put patties in pitas along with cheese, salsa, and lettuce.

YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment