Friday, October 21, 2011

Starting a stockpile on a limited budget


How can you start a stockpile if you have a very tight monthly budget?

NUMBER ONE-- lose the old routine. If you shop once a month for your family, you are overspending! I know it is more time consuming to shop weekly, but you will see your savings in just one month!!!
NUMBER TWO-- plan your dinner menus around your shopping. Don't plan your shopping around your dinner menu! I used to make up a monthly menu and every week or two shop for everything I needed. Now I plan my dinner menu around what I already have on hand and shop for the "extras" like fresh fruits and vegetables.

The best way to start a stockpile is to look for anything you can get free--
toothbrushes
toothpaste
body wash
pasta
I won't pay for these items anymore. If you are patient, you too can get them free! So start here. When you are no longer spending money on these items you can use that money elsewhere. Like starting your grocery stockpile :)

Here is how I would get started with items that aren't usually free:
month 1--
If I normally spend $8.00/month buying healthy cereal for my family (realistically this is only 2 boxes of healthy cereal these days!) and I can find it for $1.00 this month, I am going to buy 8 boxes. Now I have a 4 month supply.
I normally spend $6.00 on pasta each month ($2.00/box) I can get it for $.50/box so I am going to buy 12 boxes for a 4 month supply.
I haven't spent any more out of pocket this month than I normally would have.

month 2--
I don't have to buy cereal this month so I have $8.00 extra.
I don't have to buy pasta this month so I have $6.00 extra.
total extra couponing dollars: 14

If I usually buy 2 jars of peanut butter a month I am probably spending around $6.00. This month I find it on sale for $1.00 so I am going to buy 6 jars for a 3 month supply.
If I usually spend $5.99 per 2 lb. brick of cheese and I buy 2 of these each month I am spending $12.00/month on cheese. This month I find it on sale for $3.99/2 lbs. so I buy two extra bricks (with my leftover money from last month)--to store extra cheese, shred it and put it in the freezer, or slice it and vacuum seal!! Now I don't have to buy cheese next month.
If I normally buy 6 loafs of bread a week, lets say $2.00/loaf, I find it on sale for $1.00/loaf I am going to buy 12 loafs this month (store it in your freezer!!). now I don't have to buy it next month!
I haven't spent any more money this month. I am still on budget, and still have 10 couponing dollars leftover. There are so many options to use this extra $10!! I can look at my top ten purchases list and add to my stockpile from this list. I can buy fresh produce for my family. I can save it for next month and have extra money to buy for my stockpile next month!!

month 3--
I don't have to buy cereal this month $8.00 extra
I don't have to buy pasta this month $6.00 extra
I don't have to buy peanut butter this month $6.00 extra
I don't have to buy cheese this month $12.00 extra
I don't have to buy bread this month $12.00 extra
total extra couponing dollars: 44

I usually buy 10 pounds of chicken a month at $4.99/lb. I find it on sale for $1.99/lb so I buy 25 pounds and put the extra in the freezer for next two and a half months! (this is something I personally would use my extra dollars this month to buy more than just two extra months worth!! I personally have a six-eight month supply of chicken in my freezer!)
If I usually buy 6 cans of condensed soups to make my meals with I am probably spending around $10.00 each month. If I can get them for $.25 with a sale and a sweet coupon :) I could buy 40 cans!! this is a six month supply--score!
I still haven't gone over my monthly budget and depending on how much chicken I decided to buy, I could still have extra couponing dollars!

month 4--
I don't have to buy cereal this month $8.00 extra
I don't have to buy pasta this month $6.00 extra
I don't have to buy peanut butter this month $6.00 extra
I don't have to buy chicken this month $50.00 extra
I don't have to buy soup this month $10.00 extra
total extra couponing dollars: 80

I do have to buy more cheese and bread this month, but since I have $80.00 dollars extra to work with this shouldn't be a problem. This month I am going to look for other items that I can stockpile: beef, crackers, fruit snacks, granola bars, boxed potatoes, canned items, etc.

So if my monthly budget is $300, in 4 months time I was able to save my family 27%....doesn't sound like a whole lot, but think of how awesome it is to be able to have $80.00 extra by month 4!! With this $80 I can probably double my stockpile by month 5--with a goal of having at least a 6 month supply.

The best part about this, is it doesn't matter what store you are shopping at. As long as you are price savvy, buy what is on sale and use your coupons, you can start your stockpile! Remember, if you are on a very tight monthly budget, start slow. Gradually build your stockpile and plan your meals around what you have in your home. Eventually you will get to the point where you can "shop" your own pantry and save more than 50% on your monthly expenses!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Shannan! What great tips and this really motivates me to start!

    Lora Lewis

    ReplyDelete