Friday, January 6, 2012

Starting the New Year With a New Plan...

Okay, so maybe not a new plan; just a tweaked and better plan.

For the past 4-5 years (I've never really kept track), I have made a monthly menu. Yes, I have. I know, right? Sounds like I'm a control freak of some kind. Honestly, not even close. I do it to save time. I know, that sounds better doesn't it? :) Anyway, my menus have saved me not only time, but money. Why? Because I'm not buying random stuff in hopes of throwing something together when my kids whine loud enough to get my attention. In fact, I just have to buy what's needed by making a very detailed list based off of?... You guessed it, my menu. Aw! Doesn't that sound nice?

Okay, so now, this year. 2012. I am improving my menu. Just like anybody else, I love to eat. I love yummy food and good company. I love gathering around the table with my kids, reminding them to eat their vegetables, and hearing them giggle about stories from our day. Sounds lovely doesn't it? Well, I would be lying if I didn't mention that sometimes there are tears about what we're eating. Yup, totally normal family. :)

Sorry, losing track. Anyways, I am continuing my menu planning, but will be adding more of a balance. Balance what? Yes, a balance. I use a lot of red meat. Yes, I know, not the healthiest. Well, not the worst either. We do get a cow every year so there is a lot less fat; if that counts. Here's my balance: I plan on doing one day of each: red meat, chicken, fish, ham, and beans. I want the meat to be less than the main course and have more veggies and fruit. Doesn't sound difficult....

Here's what I'm thinking will happen our first week (we'll start next week in full swing; the 9th).

  • Monday: Tilapia Fish and rice with steamed green beans
  • Tuesday: Ham with lightly seasoned potatoes and spinach salad
  • Wednesday: Chicken Fajitas (I let this one count for all the needed food groups)
  • Thursday: Spaghetti with garlic toast and green beans w/carrots
  • Friday: Kids at Papa and Grammy's house (no cooking!!!)
  • Saturday: Black beans with ground turkey tacos
  • Sunday: Sandwiches and fruit :)

With this new take on my menu, I will be in search of some new recipes. Ones that use beans and ones that use fish. I'd love to hear from you on this one. :)

To anyone else who's hoping to make some changes:
Have fun planning! Here is the menu that I use to plan my meals. I have it on my fridge in a sheet protector and use wet erase pens on it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment