Friday, March 2, 2012

Organizing Your Stockpile

Organizing your stockpile (and keeping it that way) can be a pretty daunting task. It is worth it though! Not only will you feel better, but you will also know what you have and what you don't have in stock. Knowing what you do have will help you from over-buying and from wasting what you have already purchased.

When you come into your house with items for your stockpile, put them away immediately. I don't always do this, but I know when I don't it will sometimes take me days to get back around to it. Move old stock forward and add new to the back. This way you are always using the oldest items first and you will have little to no waste this way.

A lot of people tell me they just don't have the space for a stockpile. To answer back I say "be creative!" When I was younger I had a bed that once once a bunk bed. My dad made it for my sister and me when we were sharing a room; after we moved into a larger house he just cut it in half! My half was the top of the bed so it was pretty high off the floor. My parents used that space to store boxes of toilet paper. How creative is that!?! Look around and I am sure you will find a little space here and there.

First I am going to share with you what I have been trying to get my husband to do for me for a while now. I LOVE the idea of having a pegboard to hang items like razors and toothbrushes on. I have a huge empty wall in my basement that would be perfect for a peg board too!

Amazon has everything I need too. Check it out:






These baskets are so cool! I really want them :)  I am going to have to save up my Swagbucks and buy them for myself!


Now here is how my stockpile is actually organized:

These plastic shoe boxes are in my towel closet. It not only keeps everything organized, but I can fit a lot more into a smaller space!

Right now on Amazon they are marked down 24%, you can get 12 of them for only $19.99!



Most of my stockpile is in my basement. I am lucky enough to have the space in my basement already. I live in an older house and so I have old cupboards that were once used to store canning goods in. (Look how much room I would have in here if I had my pegboards!)

I try to keep it organized by item so I know exactly how much of each I have. Every time I add something to the stock I make sure I do a mental inventory of what I have and what I am running low on.


I also have some simple shelves in my basement that are next to my dryer. These are perfect for laundry detergent and other large items like toilet paper and paper towels (no more toilet paper under my bed!!)

My mom has a cool set up for her canned goods. These are really neat because you load the new cans into the top and pull the older items from the bottom. It is a cool way to organize your canned goods.


They are a little pricey but so worth it if you have a lot of canned items.




If you are super crafty you can try making your own. Check out this DIY idea from Then She Made




Another great idea I have seen, which is also a great space saver! How about an over-the-door shoe hanger!?! You can fit just about anything into one of these!

On Amazon you can buy one for only $11.00. I like that this one is clear too so you can see the items in each pocket!

Organization is such a huge part of couponing! I personally think that your stockpile has to be organized to get the most out of it. 


How do you organize your stockpile? 
We would love any tips or pictures that you have!


No comments:

Post a Comment